Re: Re: Mastery notation -- from the Continuum list, was: MG's

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 18:46:09 +0100

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 11:13:33AM -0500, Mike Holmes wrote:
> Now, I think that the mastery notation is pretty nifty in terms of being an
> immediate indicator of "level" of power. But can anyone see any handling
> time advantage to it? Wouldn't it be faster just to list all abilites as
> normal decimal numbers?

It's not at all clear that div/mod by 20 calculations per roll are easier than base-20 addition per augment (or sitmod) -- though I suppose that'll partly depend on how common, and how large, modifiers are.

Now of course, if you just happened to make the game-scale one mastery = 10 TN increments (c.f. the 57 varieties of d10/d12 variant)...

Cheers,
Alex.