RE: Re: Geek Notation

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 12:23:04 -0500

>From: "Tim Ellis" <tim_at_...>

> > One thing that just occured to me was to use your trusty old D20
>as a D20/2
> > (ie divide the result by 2), then you get a proper base ten
>notation for
> > numbers and a lower frequency of criticals and fumbles that seem
>to be preferred.
>
>By which I assume you mean that although 1 and 2 are both read as 1
>(and 19 and 20 as 10) a critical only occurs on an actual roll of 1
>and fumble on an actual roll of 20? The only problem is that those
>of with truly old d20's have ones that are marked 0-9 twice to start
>with!

OK, I'm going to need some of the references to thes methods. Alex implied that the d10 method would have the same rate of crits and fumbles as the D20 method. The "obvious" method of using 1s and 10s seems to contradict this. So I'm wondering what he's talking about.

That said, using something lke the above would be cool. Actually, what I'd do is get some of those 0-9 dice, and just color one of the zero's and one of the one's another color to be the fumble and critical result respectively. This, then gives the same distribution of crits/fumbles, and has the nifty advantage that scores of 1/10 can actually be rolled themselves without shifting to a crit (while I don't think this is really a problem in HQ, it is an blip in the curve).

Is this what one of the systems proposes now? Or something equivalent?

In any case, the only other effects here are that ties are twice as common, and the HP effects. The first I'm not concerned with, as I like ties. In fact I'd call that a feature. The second one can ameliorate in a number of ways. One is to simply double all of the costs. More complicatedly, one could double the costs, but allow for fractional accounting, and have the "halves" on the dice, too.

I'm assuming with a system like this that augments are still calculated by dividing by ten? If you divided by five, then you'd get twice the results from augments. This is sort of a problem in that you're making the augments less "finely" granular. But that's a problem with this system in general. I'm not sure if it wouldn't just dissappear in play. In fact, the HP "problem" might as well.

Interesting.

Mike

Overwhelmed by debt? Find out how to �Dig Yourself Out of Debt� from MSN Money. http://special.msn.com/money/0407debt.armx