Re: Re: Geek Notation

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 11:32:18 -0500

>From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>

>No, I meant same as the standard HQ d20. Hrm, OK I tell a lie: _about_
>the same, as at rating 10, say, they're now (approx) 1/24 chance, rather
>than 1/20. I suppose what I was trying to get at was, it's not
>out-and-out doubling the chances of crits and fumbles, as per a couple
>of the other d10 and d12 variants.

OK, I get it now. Since, they're bumps, and not Crits, per se.

>One sub-variant I considered, but haven't tried is that successive 11s and
>successive 12s count, but after the first 11, ignore any subsequent 12s
>(or treat as some other result -- my first thought was to regard them as
>11s, to make things a little more open-ended yet). And vice versa.

Hmm. I'd be tempted to call this a success/failure but also to put in an "alternating effect" for any off roll in sequence. That is, say I roll an 12, and then an 11. This would be a failure with a bump to a success, but with some negative extra effect that would be translated as a -1 penalty as normal for a Hurt. An 11 followed by a 12 would be a success with a bump down to failure, but there would be an additional penalty to the target of -1. Yes, this could mean that against an opponent who rolled well that you could get two penalties, or vice versa.

Another example: if I roll 12, 12, 11. Then I'd have a Failure bumped twice to a Crit, but would still get the -1 Hurt.

If you want to get really complicated (and I tend to do that a lot), you could make another roll, and have the effect accumulate in that direction as well. You could allow this to MIRV off as much as you like, giving every roll multiple resolutions - poitentially infinite. Probably more than most people would be interested in.

>I'd be interested in hearing how it pans out, if you do give it a try.

I might just try it tonight. I'll let you know.

Mike

MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page � FREE download! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200413ave/direct/01/