Re: Praxian magic

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 18:28:30 +0100

On Wed, 24 May 2000 17:22:51 +0100, "James Turner" <j.a.turner_at_...> wrote:

>Wulf:
>> To change this to the new animist ideas;
>> The clan chief needs to have the support of a Waha shaman to refill
>his
>> magic.
>>
>>No, he can D-I-Y.
>
>To refill a fetish don't you need to go to the spirit plane find the
>relevant spirit and force it into the fetish?

Working off my own ideas (a lot of what I've stated so far comes from a parallel discussion on the Hero Wars list), I'd say the problem is definition. Yes, you have to travel to the Otherside, but in Animist cultures the titles of 'Shaman', 'Priest(ess)' and often Khan/Chief are intermingled. 'Priest' is a political position in Heortling societies, and may be so in Prax too, the actual powers being Shamanistic, but without a Fetch, instead using a Spirit Ally (or Guide), like the old RQ Allied Spirits, but disembodied. Try working through the rules on p.213 (Holy Person, Sacred Chief, Family Head) - I haven't quite worked it all out myself!

>All HW theist initiates have access to reusable magic.
>All HW nomad braves have a handful of one use fetishes (no wonder the
>Praxian invaders keep kicking nomad butt).

Yes, but fetishes have the advantage of a magical augmentation AND extra AP, which is not bad!

Wulf