Re: City gods

From: Jeff <jakyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 15:15:28 -0000

I do seem to recall frp, the RQ III Prosopaedia that city gods could not project their power beyond their boundaries. But within the boundaries, they were often the paramount magical honchos.

I think there was something about it in the various Pavis publications. I personally don't regard City Magic as being very portable - Air is everywhere as is Darkness or even the Moon but Pavis... not so much. =)

Jeff

> I only have the original (RQ) writeups for the Pavis cult so maybe
there has
> been a new one published that I don't have yet, but I don't see any
> prohibition on magic use outside the city of Pavis, except in the
specific
> instance of using City Harmony spell for RQ. Instead I find Pavis
is limited
> magically in that he gets most of his powerful magic granted
through other
> cults, either because he wrestled a power away from them
(elementals) or
> because Pavis himself is limited to granting weaker magic. But
nowhere can I
> find that once you step outside the city gates you can't use any of
your
> Pavis magic. I would suppose that a magic specifically targetted
for the
> city, like a form of the old City Harmony magic, would not be
useful in a
> place that is not a city, just like a magic to sharpen blades would
not
> repair a backpack. And indeed, the old writeup for City Harmony is
the only
> place where I can find mention of area effect limited to New Pavis
or the
> Rubble, but of course this limitation is just for this piece of
magic and
> not for Pavis as a whole. Is there something published for
Heroquest that I
> missed where it redefines this for either Pavis or city gods in
general?

> You also talked about Pavis being interested / not interested in
subcults
> that operate outside the city of Pavis. Pavis himself was active
outside the
> city of Pavis, particular major events were in Dragon Pass studying
with the
> EWF & meeting Flintnail, in Shadow's Dance where he defeated Waha
with the
> Faceless Statue, the Paps where he taught Aldryami healing. This,
combined
> with Pavis' reliance on other subservient and associated cults for
magic,
> indicates Pavis' interests do lie outside the physical city as well
as
> within it. So I don't see how outside Pavis is not relevant to
Pavis'