Starting Level of Ability (Was: Initiates using feats.)

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 11:02:15 -0500

This is practically a standard rant of mine. Gotta keep it fresh, tho. :-)

>From: ASHLEY MUNDAY <aescleal_at_...>
>*This was all part of the same process as realising
>that 14 resistance was fairly hard to beat reliably in
>a simple contest and that 17 was actually still quite
>a crap ability score.

Yes, poople forget the scale all the time. 17 is the lowest level of ability that somebody in a profession can have, and still claim to be in the profession. So, think about your job. Then think of the person who just started in it, and knows just enough that people can't laugh when he says that he's an X (in my case a programmer). That's 17. I tend to think of it in terms of years - so think high school drop out at 17 getting his first job. Not even the minimum "journeyman" level of 1W, this is still apprentice level.

Think how "novice" a 12 is.

Interestingly, this doesn't make the characters incompetant, as being inexperienced in other games does. It makes them realistically inexperienced, IMO. If you don't want your Heroes to be inexperienced, see the section on Advanced Experience, and apply liberally.

If you want the players to feel their character's inexperience, then hit them with the scale. Have them get into a tangle with the High Priest of their religion, who has affinities in the 10W3 range. Then they'll realize how far they have to go before they can say that they're "experienced." This guy's been in business for decades, and some upstart thinks they can come along and show him who's boss? Unlikely (but, interestingly, it can happen, especially with appropriate situation and HP - I love HQ). :-)

Mike