Applied (Hepherones) philosophy

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:53:36 -0000

Master of Luck and Death, page 66, has the rather interesting "Hepherones Philosophy." It lets someone with say the Hepherones Earth Philosphy roll a variable augment to any earth related ability from any of a list of things (I won't list them all, don't want to spoil the fun for those who haven't bought MoLaD yet).

I have two questions about how you use this, in game/rule terms.

  1. Actions required. I presume that each augment is an action, as normal? Or would use of the philosophy skill be considered one action, with as many augment roles as applicable covered under that action? Also, would these count as magical abilities, for the purpose of how many augments before you are into quite long rituals?
  2. What the "ability" you are rolling is/can be. Some of them are easy to model, like for earth the action heal/repair or the emotion compassion--these would normally be easy to determine off of a character sheet.

Others are less straightforward. The direction east, the color green....these would not normally be abilities per se.

If you are wearing a green cloak, can this somehow be used? Or would using a green shield with your sword and shield skill work? What if you had an ability with (the magical) Ernaldness's Green Hat? Or would you have to actually have to develop an ability, "green"?

I like the imagery of using this ability.....say facing east, dressing in green, and holding an emerald to strengthen a casting. I'm just not sure of the line between needing an ability that is related to the term in question, versus the benefits of just using something of the appropriate form.

Any thoughts?

--Bryan