Re: Re: Taunting during combat

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 08:00:01 -0700

> > How should taunting during combat work?

Use it directly as a morale-breaker, or use it to enhance another ability

> > First taunt: -5
> > Subsequent repartee: -10

Ick.

While I know some people like to make things difficult, and the rules let you do it, is there really a reason to have to remember how many times you taunted someone and then calculate a penalty from it?

Combat is not just hitting people with swords. If you can break their spirit, they will surrender/run away. Verbal abuse is simply another weapon, aimed at morale rather than physical damage. It's not resisted with Sword and Shield but with his own repartee or some mental skills. Taunts might even be used to goad your opponent - "I want to make him bid high next turn (because I've got a hero point to bump my roll) so I insult his mother (using a Simple contest as an unrelated action in the middle of the extended fight)." While this isn't covered in the rules, it is an easy step to extrapolate them.

What I'm trying to say is use the rules, don't try to force them. Run things through your Common Sense filter. If it doesn't make sense, see if another type of contest works better. See if you can take the existing rules and do what you want before making new rules. HW is very much for the Improvisational gamemaster. Those that want every particular detail nailed down won't like it as much. I feel comfortable with it because that is the way I tend to run games - fast, loose and dramatic.

> What's the - for quoting Monty Python?

-40 before you'll make *me* laugh.

RR