RE: You're in the army now

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 18:34:22 +0100

> When you join the army you'll join a regiment that worships
> Black Death Snake (or Bisos Hazar, or whatever) or one that
> will at least accept your god, or one you can change to
> easily - a subcult or something similar.

OK. My idea is that the main reason she joined the army was to see the world outside the swamps, and try to avoid anything actually dangerous. Yes, it seems daft, but according to the news there are Americans who do this :)

> Actually, you probably joined the regiment *before* starting
> to worship your warrior god. Unless your family is retired
> Army, there's probably no reason for you to worship a War god
> before joining the army
> Remember that most of the Empire is civilized, not like Sartar.

Hmm, I see what you mean. "worshipped by executioners, bodyguards, and fell warriors", it says here. I'd assumed that everywhere has its own army/warriors, and joining the Lunar army instead of the local one is sort of like the Gurkhas joining British regiments. You're already a local warrior, you just go and sign up with a bunch of foreigners.

Native abilities include "spear fighting" for *all* occupations, after all... Doesn't sound much more civilised than Sartar to me!

Of course, it also says that Darjiini tend to move from one practice to another more as less as they feel like it - there *is* no "core practice" as such. I saw her as changing from whatever she was in before to Black Snake simply along the lines of "hmm, better get some combat magic".

> > Well, if they go home.... If they take up their land grant
> Somewhere
> > Odd (Sartar, say), then they're probably in even more trouble.
>
> Any Colonia will have religious leaders to provide worship
> services.

And with the mix of PCs we've got here, we'll need a few :)

> If you need some regiments, Jane, I can provide them for you,
> but you need to come up with the myths & history :-).

See my previous post for the requirements for this regiment, vexilla, or whatever it is. Myths and history are "story" - I can usually do that.