Re: levels

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 18:51:17 -0700

Roderick

> People have run Heroquests with no-mastery heroes (and some still prefer
> that level of play - Hi David!).

You must have me confused with someone else. We didn't feel up to heroquesting until we'd earned our first level of mastery.

And since Roderick brings it up, I do think the game is more fun if you don't start with any skills with mastery, but instead earn them. (Nothing wrong with playing these more experienced heroes!)

> no-mastery is a young kid shading towards experienced at the high end
> 1-mastery is a normal experienced person shading towards "really good" at
> the high end

No mastery is a competent adult. (Remember, most of your hero's abilities won't have a mastery!)

1 mastery is somone really good, one of the best people in his clan at that ability.

Michael wrote

> I had the impression that the default starting level of characters
> was a bit higher than the characters currently were.

Probably so -- while I don't think it's possible to directly compare, it does seem obvious that starting Hero Wars characters are quite competent, especially if they are devotees (with lots of reusable divine magic, in RQ terms).

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein