Re: Shameful confusion about Fetish/Spirit Ally rules

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:07:02 -0000

> >Though I believe (never checked) that a starting character can't
be a
> >shaman anyway. So given the amount of effort you have to take to
become
> >one, maybe having them powerful is fair enough?
>
> Gaining a Fetch is the Capital-S Secret of Shamanic practices, and
requires
> 3 abilites at 1W2 (or greater). Definitely out of reach of a
*default*
> beginning character.

I think there was a suggestion here (or hereabouts) that the Secret allowed the user to awaken the fetch of another character, based on someone's reading of the GTA preview version of the rules. Since the rules don't read that way it was either a faulty reading or a late change. (Maybe someone was just trying to find a way to keep an existing HeroWars Shaman without needing to give them the "capital S secret"?)

Also just to note that the Shamanic secret is slightly special in that although you can't become a Shaman if you already know a secret (in keeping with the "Only one secret ever" rule) it does seem possible for a Shaman to gain the secret of another practice within the tradition (P139, "Benefits & Obligations", first two lines)