Re: Re: Movement rates

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:45:42 +0000 (GMT)

> > A person has a best movement rate of about 50
> miles a day. This assumes
> > 10 hours of travel, reasonable terrain and
> carrying no real load.

> IMHO, this is
> much too fast. People simply don't walk 5 mph.
> That is jogging
> speed, especially when talking for 10 hours of
> movement. 10 hours is
> a respectable finish in most 50 mile ultramarathons,
> and those folks are jogging the entire time.

That's a fair point. Then again, with zero load (no water, no food), maybe our random travellers *are* jogging. If they decide to go slow and just walk, they'll do less than 50 miles, but then that was being stated as a maximum.

OTOH, once you put in the modifiers, the results seemed to work. Light load (food, water, waterproofs etc.) and crossing "hills" (OK, so one of them was over 3000 feet), I did twenty miles in a day back when I was all young and fit. And that's what the chart predicts. And yes, for some of it I *was* running. Because I could, and it was fun :)

(thinking about what I'd manage today, we do perhaps need an extra set of modifiers for "traveller is a couch/mouse potato", divide distances by 10?)

Jane Williams

Moving house? Beach bar in Thailand? New Wardrobe? Win �10k with Yahoo! Mail to make your dream a reality. Get Yahoo! Mail www.yahoo.co.uk/10k