Re: Mixed Religion Branching (Was:Presents from a shaman)

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:10:02 -0600

>From: "Roderick and Ellen Robertson" <rjremr_at_...>

>"Mechanically" entitled by the rules, yes. Magically entitled? possibly
>not - all Animist religions are not the same. And "five" is just a
>convenient number for writing rules. The *social* rules of a particular
>culture might dictate none, one, five, or "as many as your family can give
>you".

Right. Again, just looking for something to modify off of, or for the baseline when an exception isn't listed.

> > Of course. Just what a 17 in "Know Myths" will getcha.
>
>Nope, just what "public knowledge" will get you.

That's what I meant by my statement. A 17 Know Orhan Pantheon Myths won't get you any of the secrets of the Humakt cult because that takes "Myths of Humakt." That is, I figured this was precisely why there are separate abilities for these things.

> > No doubt. But I'm looking for a guideline for when these things have not
> > been specified as to how to apply them. That is, we know that there are
> > these Kolating folks that are nominally in the Heortling religion. The
> > question becomes what, if any, impact does that have on the Heortling
> > character? And we've discovered that it means a few things at least...
>
>Wanna know a secret? Don't tell anyone. Shhh.

Wanna know another one? I already know how game design works (pretty intimately, having designed a few), and so does everyone else.

But you're missing the point by a wide margin. I'm not concerned with what "might" get created. I'm concerned with how to run what's already been created. That is, the standard formats that the information are presented in now, do not tell the complete story.

>If it's one of the 10 sample homelands or some other published material,
>then you have the baselines.

No, see, if these had been clear to me as to how they operate, I wouldn't be here asking. I'm looking for the general priciples to apply to, say, the Teshnan religion. I want to be able to run it, or at least to understand how it works so I can make up a new religion like it. As it stands, I'm not sure how it does work, precisely.

So, thanks for the

>If you're making it up, then you're making it
>up. *You* get to decide what a starting character gets to start with. Maybe
>he gets charms, maybe some stand-alone feats, maybe common magic - it's up
>to you.

Gee, really?

> > If it's allowed in theory for a communal worshipper Heortling to have
> > Kolating tradition spirits (however unusual), then why couldn't an
>initiate
> > of Destor do the same? Concentration would, of course, preclude this as
> > would any sort of keyword that required concentration. But why 30%ing?
>
>Yes, it is possible for an unconcentrated Initiate to also worship an
>animist (or sorcerous) entity. But 30% is a big drag on your time - it's
>more hours in a week than you put in at work (assuming you have a 9-5 or
>similar job, etc). Most people have gods that merge with their occupation,
>so that their 30% is counted as part of their job, with some extra time
>spent in church/prayer/rituals/whatever. To worship another being will cut
>deeper into your "free time".

OK, gotcha. Hard, unlikely, uncommon, but not impossible, though. It had misread you as saying that it was impossible.

Mike