Re: travel times

From: Paul May <kax_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 11:08:15 +1100

At 03:24 PM 17/11/04, MHolmes wrote:
> >From: Paul May <kax_at_...>
> > Hmm. I spend a minute working out who gets there first at normal speeds,
> >and by how much (and it is only about a minute). Then I ask how much PCs
> >want to push it, then get them to roll to see how good they are at pushing
> >it. Not too different to HQ in that way.
>
>How do you interpret a simple roll result like that in GURPs? IIRC, you add
>your character's running divided by 10 to their base movement score. Other
>similar gobbledygook. Then, if you do roll what do you roll against
>(remember running's already in the equation)? Let's say you get a success,
>by one - how do you know what effect that has?

  I base his movement on his movement rate (Running no longer exists, and only worked for running anyway, not walking, and so didn't affect normal movement rates), then modify from there. The base maximum movement rate is not 50 miles per day (10 hrs, jogging or running/walking), but 10 x movement rate, modified by terrain and circumstances. You can increase movement rate separately from your stats, but it's not a skill any more. If I wanted to have a world-class sprinter, for example, I'd buy Move up to about 10. If I wanted a couch potato who wasn't sickly, I'd buy it down to 4, or even 3, rather than reducing stats a lot.   You then roll on Health, that being used for fatigue-related actions. I rate how well you did by how much you made or failed the roll by, anything from, "You crit failed; you not only didn't make it on time, the reason why not is a twisted kneee that needs treatment" to "Crit success! Brilliant! You got there in enough time to have a quick wash before having to see the king, and you get a reaction bonus."
  It's not just pass/fail; the amount of success does determine how fast you are compared to the baseline.

> > And "fail to take into account important things" how?
>
>When trying to beat the bat to Whitewall, can GURPs consider the effect of
>your relationship with the people there? Your character's Driven nature? The
>effect of stopping for a blessing at a roadside chappel of Humakt to pray
>for the strength to get there in time to be in the fight? None of this goes
>into the basic movement score, and the system doesn't account for them in
>any die rolls I've ever seen (and I've played a ton of GURPS).

  Not explicitly, no. But it does cover the GM adding modifiers where he sees it necessary, and suggests that he should do so. If you had Obsession, I'd take that into account. If you had prayed to an appropriate god (in a world where this works), I'd add a bonus for that. If you had family or other relationships there, I'd account for that too. It's just not part of the movement rate rules.
  No, it's not as integrated as HeroQuest is - but no other game is, either. But it is there. It's also there in some other systems, but not integrated. Mostly because they are simulationist, and doing that level of integration would give rulebooks the size of Aria's... ;)

> > What you are suggesting is possibly allowing heroes to travel at 100 MPH
> >even without movement magic, if the roll is good.
>
>Really, where did I say that? People keep accusing me of all sorts of
>things. I said that one could go 50 miles in 10 hours if life and death were
>on the line, there was good terrain, and the characters had amazing
>abilities. And even then they might fail. That's 5 miles an hour by my
>calculations.

  Sorry. It's not specified in anything you said. It is implied, though, to an extent. If you have a trip with a, say, 17 difficulty based on a fast movement rate and a good path, and a really bad roll would indicate bad weather and bandits, what does a complete victory denote? Moving at a rate faster than possible without magic? Or, thinking of things, finding a Sartar road? :)

> > It's all fine to leave it loose most of the time--I do myself. But when
> >you are comparing time over distance as Jane wants to do, you need
> >something as a baseline.
>
>Uh, I proposed a baseline myself. Where are people getting that I just make
>up TNs out of nothing without considering distances or time?

  We aren't, I don't think. I'm not. But you have to have the distance and travel rate numbers to base difficulty on.   To get back to basics for this thread; given Jane's original problem, how would you work it out? Please give all working, not just your difficulty results. ;)

--
| Paul May               | paul.robert.may_at_...
| Kax Hoplodyne, Ltd     | kax_at_...
| MIB 1138; RD Australia | the_kax_at_...
| PGP key on www.pgp.net | spell_at_...

    I'm an omnitheist. You can't have too many messiahs.