Re: the numbers

From: Paul May <kax_at_...>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 09:23:22 +1100

At 03:20 PM 30/11/04, MHolmes wrote:
>Take it from a professional
>statistician - the one thing that I think is most unrealistic in game design
>is how players have far too perfect a knowledge of situations. In real life,
>estimation is a vastly important skill, and most decisions are made with
>only partial knowledge.

  Not entirely a game design consideration. I, as a player, usually know the systems being run well enough that I can make a decision based on how the system will handle a situation better than I can in real life. ;) I can definitely do it faster than the GM, in most cases.   Comes from being a GM for so many systems, and being good at maths, I suppose.
  Deliberate imprecision is good for several reasons, but there can, and usually will, be a distinction between the narrator's precision of knowledge, the players', and the heroes'.   For example, back to distances. The narrator can work out how far and how fast for a trip to try and beat something/someone to the destination in as much detail as they like or can. Then he feeds info to the players, who have their heroes act on it. The heroes will probably have a better idea of distance, travel speed, conditions, &c than the players, and will probably know the info with more precision. This difference may or may not be useful to the heroes. Then, the heroes attempt to beat the something/someone to the destination, the players rolling versus a difficulty derived from the narrator's calculations; if the figuring was close, the difficulty will be average. If it was significantly different, the difficulty may be a lot harder or easier. If it is too easy, the narrator might add a problem or two to be overcome on the way.

--
| Paul May               | paul.robert.may_at_...
| Kax Hoplodyne, Ltd     | kax_at_...
| MIB 1138; RD Australia | the_kax_at_...
| PGP key on www.pgp.net | spell_at_...

    I'm an omnitheist. You can't have too many messiahs.