Re: Augmenting to Augment?

From: bigblackcatmail <bigblackcatmail_at_...>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 14:19:59 -0000

Mkay. Now, unless I'm on some heavy cough medicine or have some arcane advance printing of HeroQuest, there's something that really is missing from this discussion (and surprisingly from the getgo).

The situation below depends entirely on whether or not Brute McHulk is a follower of Smoothie Ap Talk. And by that I mean an NPC sidekick/follower/whatever on Smoothie Ap Talk's sheet.

Because, if he's not, then the player (by the HeroQuest rules as I've played/run/understand them) has to roll for the augment.

>From my understanding of the rules, one player's character may not automatically augment another player's character.

The same standard applies in HeroQuest with AP lending.

So, from my interpretation, if Brute McHulk is a follower of Smoothie Ap Talk, then Smoothie Ap Talk gets a +4 auto augment from Brute McHulk. If Brute McHulk is another player's character, then Brute McHulk rolls for a variable augment with a rating of 4w.

Otherwise, simple contests are way open to abuse, IMO.

I don't know why this hasn't already been mentioned. We've used this in Mike's ShadowWorld-HQ game and it's totally in line with the AP lending rules (if my memory is playing tricks on me and it isn't actually written in the rules).

It's how I've always played/run it. I'd be surprised if the "official" ruling was otherwise, especially since rolling for the variable augment puts the players in a much less passive role than just throwing out augments at the other players.

Scott