Re: Using Magic As Active Abilities

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_...>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 11:54:14 -0800

Just off the top of my head...

Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...> wrote:

> I believe the rules say that unconcentrated, you may not use the
> common magic as active abilities. The character concerned does not
> have any healing abilities. So augment 6?

Possibly one of the character's keywords could work. That character has the "warrior" keyword; I think one could argue that "warrior" should include "first aid", at least with an improvisational penalty (for combat-type injuries, like binding wounds). Similarly, the "Heortling" keyword probably includes at least minimal animal healing abilities (recognizing when a cow is injured, knowing simple things to do to help). The "heal flesh" could augment that. And it could augment the Endurance and Overcome Pain skills under certain circumstances--e.g. if the contest is, "Can you keep going despite your wounds?" the character could legitimately augment "Endurance" (the natural base skill) with "heal flesh" ("the wounds aren't quite as bad as they would be because of my magic").

> Talk to ancestor magic sounds pretty much like an active type spell
> to me. What would you augment that with?

Presumably this could be used to augment any of her religious skills (e.g. "Worship Storm Pantheon") if the holiday/ritual/spell involves ancestors in some way. It could also probably augment "soul vision" if she's dealing with the souls of ancestors.