RE: Re: Experience Contribution (was Possible house rules onconcentrating magic)

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 10:39:48 -0600

>From: "Tim Ellis" <tim_at_...>

>Keep a rough running total and use it when a player is trying to get
>a benefit from his cult and/or god. If they have strayed to far
>from the suggested level then assign them a penalty "We are not
>only here for when you have problems you know". You could also use
>it the other way too - if players eem to be spending all their HP on
>magic then have someone suggest that unless they are a cloistered
>priest (or cultural equivalent) then their is a life outside the
>temple too...

I'd advocate something like this, too. Basically look at it as a place to create contests. If the player hasn't spent enough on learning his Feats or something, then have a contest where he tries to convince the priest that he's still devout. If he fails, then he'll have a penalty on anything where the temple's support is involved, until he makes ammends.

That sort of thing. Like I said, it's best as inspiration as to how the elements in the character's life conflict. In fact, I'd even allow a character to go "over" the limit for a bit, which would result in all of the cults involved putting pressure on him to drop other cults until they were in line. Eventually some cult will cut him off completely, and even the god involved (spirits, whathaveyou) will cut him off. Basically if they ever get to Complete Failure here, the powers are unusuable until things are rectified with that cult.

So heroes can try the "balancing act" for a bit, but may find that it bites them on the ass.

Mike