Re: Re: What useful purpose do the concentrated magic rules serve?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 16:30:36 +0000 (GMT)

And I think that covers the "real" reasons, in any rule system.

> But how do you define the types of magic that are
> proscribed, and what
> the penalty is, without having to do it
> cult-by-cult?

You think an entire cult would have just one opinion on the matter?
It'll vary by clan. Maybe even by bloodline. Maybe by what mood the priest's in at the time, how much the spirit-talker in the hills has annoyed him this week, and whether he knows your dad.

But, that's whether or not it's *proscribed*.

Whether or not it *works*, and if so, how well, is where we need Rules. And I think I'd agree with what a few other people have said, that there was no hint of this being a Gloranthan Truth before HQ came out. We all knew things like Lunar magic being cyclical, but not that there were mechanical as well as social disadvantages to mixing magic types (possibly because the social disadvantages were more than enough to go on with!).

Adding new Gloranthan Truths seems to me to be something one should only do after very careful thought and reading of previous sources. I'm assuming, for now, that Issaries did that careful thought and persusal of source material for contradictions. Innocent until proved guilty, and so on.

Jane Williams