Re: What useful purpose do the concentrated magic rules serve?

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 20:04:10 -0000

> Jane Williams:
> > Adding new Gloranthan Truths seems to me to be
> > something one should only do after very careful
> > thought and reading of previous sources. I'm assuming,
> > for now, that Issaries did that careful thought and
> > perusal of source material for contradictions.
>
> I feel slightly guilty for being so cynical. But I am assuming it
is a
> pet theory springing up inside Issaries and in the excitement of
the
> moment getting elevated to 'cannon'. That would seem a perfectly
human
> thing to have happened.

Before we had Herowars and Heroquest Glorantha was expressed via Runequest, which was essentially a game system devised by Perrin and Turney, which Glorantha was hung on. If you have any experience of the Board Games such as Dragon Pass then you will have a fairly good idea that Runequest IMO did not accurately represent the mythic grandeur they contained.

For example, the major magic used by the Lunars as early as the Cradle Scenario from the Pavis box set was described as beyond the scope of the Runequest rules. In fact I would go further and say that it was pretty bloody hard to be anything but a battle hardened treasure hunter!

I think since KoS many very talented people were able to throw off the chains of defining Glorantha in terms of Runequest. Don't get me wrong, I loved the game, but I prefer Heroquest, magical otherworlds, warts and all.

When I played my Runequest character - I dreamt of Argrath and of maybe making a difference in the Hero Wars. I never had a Runequest character that even made Rune level. Heroquest gives you the ability to create a true Gloranthan hero. Some people like playing what is described as a 'kitchen sink' low-level clan drama. That's great. But I feel that where Heroquest really shines is facilitating getting involved amongst the high and mighty events, such as the Crimson Bat, Shiprise or Dragonrise.

Regards
Rob