Re: What useful purpose do the concentrated magic rules serve?

From: jeffrichard68 <jeff.richard_at_...>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 02:02:18 -0000

> Forgive me, but I dont see the connection between this and saying
that
> HQ (even though its an excellent game and able to provide a much
> better representation of Glorantha) would work more simply without
> concentrated magic and the three world theory being in the
> rulebook.

I think that the "three otherworlds theory" in the rulebook reflects Greg's view of the Gloranthan otherworlds. Arcane Lore is particularly instructive - basically we have four types of magic in Glorantha. Magic from gods, magic from sorcery, magic from spirits and magic from the world. Each is fundamentally incompatible with and distinct from the others. You can mix magics, but all things considered you just aren't going to be as effective with mixed magic than someone who specializes in one magical type.

These are fundamentally different ways of approaching the "otherworld" and certainly seem to model Greg's view of Glorantha better than ignoring them. But that's just my take.

Jeff