Re: What useful purpose do the concentrated magic rules serve?

From: Nick Hollingsworth <nick.hollingsworth_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 14:14:05 -0000

"Mike Holmes"
> if you had to enumerate these things
> separately for every single culture, it would be somewhat
> nightmarish in terms of volume ...

Well there is already a two page summary of each homeland. This extra information would only add a couple of lines to each. And most campaigns only involve people from a small number of homelands. And It seems to me that the result retains all the choices for the players but is a damn sight easier to apply. But I seem to be in the minority.

> IMO something much worse is "Inappropriate Worship."

But this is all part of the same thing.

The three worlds theory results in: concentration rules; missapplied worship rules; having to decide if a cult is *really* worshipping a god or a spirit regardless of what the people on the ground claim; members of a theistic culture not being able to use fetishistic charms etc even though they have always been described as doing this; common magic having to be categorised as one of the three types when it could just have been 'common'; being able to do a litmus test on any otherworld creature and decide conclusively where it came from; demons, damions and deamons or whatever the hell it is; three sorts of each elemental just for the sake of it; I could go on but it will devolve further into a rant.

Personally I fail to see any useful play routinely coming from any of these things. What I do see a whole layer of complexity coming from them as everything has to be categorised constantly and if you add new types of magic then things will get even worse. And it does go directly against what *for me* was the very important gloranthan theme of subjectivity.

But since there is not a groundswell of seething outrage in the fan base I will try to give it a rest.