RE: Re: Sartar Rising books

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 22:25:46 -0000

Rob Davis:
> We were/ are playing it straight.

Rob, much as I hate to contradict you about your own campaign, you're not, you know.

> It is the story arc of my dreams.

Yes, I can see that. You're playing it the way I think it should have been done, or at least the way that should have been allowed for. At a much higher level of influence, if not straight power, than the story arc expects.

Look at the descriptions of how the PCs are expected to interact with the Rebellion - all the emphasis on how they might if they're very good get to meet (and grovel to) an underling of an underling. And by the end of the second book, Kallyr might know their names.

> You can move your PC's to centre stage. I have done so at times.
Just a bit....

> One of them even
> became the Steward of Whitewall after the Bat episode when
> King Broyan was incapacitated.

I've read the chronicles of that bit. Rob, you had them giving Kallyr orders, back in 1619. And she was taking them, too. Yes, there were special circumstances, but! And I did like the section where they were refusing to let her in on the plot, because they didn't trust her to do anything rational with the sensitive political information involved.

And in terms of having an effect on the universe: as I remember it, it was because of the players that Broyan et al decided to stay and defend Whitewall from the Bat, not just run. They were instrumental in coming up with the plan of *how* to defeat it (and then used NPCs as cannon fodder to do so, which didn't do Broyan any good at all). Yes, in doing all this you managed to stay generally in line with the canon story and the WW list additions, but that wasn't by rail-roading.

In fact, where's that Wiki? Let's let everyone else see those Chronicles, too.

http://www.eparsnip.f2s.com/phpwiki/index.php?Rob%27s%20campaign

> When you refer to Gathering Thunder I bet you are refering to
> the Sky Ship. I would say read the Gwandor for their game writeup.
> Very exciting.

It certainly is!

http://www.celtic-webs.com/glorantha/campaigns/gwandor/saga/gwandor50.ht ml

But this is another case where it's exciting because the players have been given power, and for a large chunk of the adventure, Kallyr gets ignored, put in her place, or just left out. As far as I can make out dropping into the middle of the saga like this, there are currently two Argraths among the PCs, Maniskisson and Dragonfriend. Let me find a few choice quotes...

Well to start with, they control the Grazer army, not her, and they're using it as a threat to make sure she knows her place.

Then we have "Dragonlord" speaking to Kallyr about the proposed quest:

"You will do everything I say regarding the dragon?"
"Aye."
"Right," said Dragonlord, "do try to stay out from underfoot then."

Remember that very scripted fight that gets them thrown off the Ship?

"And so the ship sailed on. When another day had passed they drew nye the sky-tickling ribs and the Quest took boat and made for shore."

Fight? What fight?

Then the suggestion that the PCs don't want to play with dragons, obviously it's all beyond their feeble little minds.

"There they fared atop a vast ridgeline, the dragon's spine and passed along it to where the dragon's head should have been. Dragonlord declared that they had reached their destination and that here was where they were to contact the dragon. He, Bronwyn and Orlaront joined together into an ancient draconic ceremony that would summon the dragon's attention, be it good or bad."

Kallyr isn't mentioned. Presumably she was staying out from underfoot, like a good little NPC.

Yes, it's a wonderful campaign, and the chronicles are very much worth reading. But that's because it's picked up the marvellous background story, and discarded everything about what the players are "meant" to do.