Re: Re: One session per season...

From: Darren Hill <rpglists_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 20:43:30 -0000

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:29:49 -0600, Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...> wrote:

>> From: "Darren Hill" <rpglists_at_...>
>
>> > But I
>> > only do these things when I think that they say something about the
>> > character - not because it's the next thing that they run into in the
>> > in-game environment. Even if it's a dragon. I have to see the
>> > character-centric relevance first.
>>
>> Do players ever ask, "can I roll for this," when you would have skipped
>> over it?
>
> I think that Darren is setting me up here, given that he's played in my
> game
> (you are the same Darren from the FATE list, right?).

You're correct. I asked that question because your initial statement could have een interpreted as very gm-is-god, which didn't seem like you :)

> But I'll take the
> question at face value. When I say "I have to see the relevance" I mean
> that
> the participants have to see the relevance in such a style. Players
> initiate
> rolls as often as I do.

The other question that occurred to me after I posted my troll :) was do you ever ask for a roll, and a player says, "this isn't that important to me, let's just say this happens"?
I'm wondering if the player saying that suggests, actually this does mean something to the PC: the statement, "this event should happen this way," does suggest the player has some investment in the outcome. But when is it okay say, "okay, no roll. You get the outcome you wanted"? Hmm, probably a question for a more general roleplaying forum.

> (They don't in the FATE game, but that has to do with it's PBEM nature, I
> think. If they called for a contest, of course I'd do it, however.)

Yes, that's what i thought.

Darren