RE: Saga system

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:58:56 -0600

>From: "Jane Williams" <janewilliams20_at_...>

For some reason I'm mentally blocked on remembering the correct reference to the Saga System. That's like the third time I've incorrectly referened it on this list.

>Suppose we said 1 point per season? Five times the rate, but then he's
>got three keywords to increase if he wants. So his main one gets about
>2.5 points a year, say...
>
>20 years - up 50 points. 50+17=67 - that's 7W3 by the time he's 40. As a
>farmer, warrior, leader, whatever. To my mind, that's not unreasonable.
>Anyone else?

I probably will average out around there, or a little higher. I had one recent hiatus where it was about four months, and they got 5 levels (a theoretical 15 per year rate). Of course, the city that they'd been in had been taken over by undead who they spent most of that time dodging, so I figured it was a pretty stressful time, and a lot of learning occured.

For, say, five years between adventuring entirely, just at home and living the easy life, I'd probably go more like 2 or 3 per year. To me it really depends on what's happening between the sections of "active" or detailed play.

>Right, that makes sense. Unless, I suppose, they write some good
>back-story? Sometimes abilities can have been there all along, but have
>only just become relevant enough to be listed on a character sheet. "Was
>at school with Fred" won't get listed until you suddenly realise that
>Fred is now the clan champion of the place you've just walked into. Once
>you do know, you can describe all the things you used to get up to, the
>shared pranks, the way you nicked his first girlfriend - oops!

I think that local interpretation will have to take hold here. There are lots of ways to consider something to be "part of play" or not.

> > Sure, but it's more a player preference thing. That is, I
> > could play the most heroic character in the world using this
> > method. "Downtime" could be, "And then the hero went and slew
> > 2000 of his enemies rampaging across their land in the
> > following season.
>
>And his warrior keyword went up by 1/5 of a point as a result :)

Again, I'd probably give 5 or so levels. But it's really just as subjective as handing out HP (which I also give out like candy). And, again, this isn't supported by the rule as written. Just how I play it.

Mike