RE: Re: Saga system

From: paul_at_...
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:21:32 +0000

aescleal_at_... wrote:

> If a character's being actively played, something
> important's going on and the character will be
> developed because of it. If they're not being played
> then they're not being developed. There's no real
> "risk assessment" involved.

I'd suggest that it is challenge rather than risk (at least in the sense of risk of death) that is important. For a combat-oriented character they would usually be the the same thing, but it is the degree of challenge that is important. Variety may also be relevant. It seems to me that new and challenging situations would tend to improve ability faster than working on something that the character has already mastered. (Something that would be VERY relevant when considering Brithini).

(Of course there are other styles of play that are quite valid - and giving Hero Points as a reward for facing dangerous situations is one).