Saga System

From: Labrygon_at_...
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 02:03:15 EST

Jeff:
> Next thing you'll
> be saying is you don't like Shakespearean tragedies or something
> crazy like that!

I think the closest literary parallel we have for time running at a constant rate is probably the soap opera. Everything is generally forced into a format that seems to parallel real time. At least in Eastenders and Coronation St in the UK it tries to make it snowy and cold on screen in January, Xmas happens at the right time etc.

In other words, each session of Soap represents a fixed'ish' time period. I;'m sure Lunar Chroonmancers have a better analysis.

Afterthought: I guess the 'diary' as a form of story as in Adrian Mole, Bridget Jones, even Across the Andes by Frog, or the 'chronicle', as in the Anglo Saxon also fit into a regular slot.

Afterafterthought: News programs are also forced to fionf just enough news to fill their slot even if there is more or less news than usual.

Keith