RE: Re: Narrative Abilities are crap?

From: Mike Holmes <homeydont_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:15:25 -0600

>From: "Rob" <robert_m_davis_at_...>
>
>Anyone who created a new character in a game I narrated raised
>eyebrows whn they saw the 10 freebie skills or narrative skills at
>13 rather than 17 like the rest. I take your point but, it just
>don't feel right to me.

I think that there are a lot of things that "don't feel right" when you first start playing Hero Quest. The more I play, the more I find that this is because, to paraphrase an American advertiser: Hero Quest is not your father's RPG. More to the point once you play by it's rules for a while, not only does it stop feeling odd, you start to see the advantages of the methods in question. Well, at least that's been my experience with it.

>I toyed with the idea of giving new players
>50 points to spend, and thats what I did! I imposed a limit of 15W
>on any one ability. Hoots!

I think this is a good compromise. The system still shows the basic importance of the keywords, but the player can, if he likes make any ability just as high as any other.

Mike