Improvised narration (was Re: Saga system)

From: parental_unit_2 <parental_unit_2_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:43:07 -0000

> I set off running HQ wanting to work out the truth behind the plots
and get the npc stats ready and etc etc. .... But Guy kept telling me to relax and just let things unfold and see what happened. That and playing using The Pool have been a revelation. Not only is this easier on you but it gives good results.

Can Nick and/or other narrators explain how to run a game this way? It's hard for me to see how to make this work, even in HQ. Currently I write out a complete plot outline -- secrets, puzzle solutions, and all -- and set up all the contests that I can anticipate in advance.

If you don't prepare plots and NPCs, how do you compensate for the lack of them? What prevents players from simply circling until they get bored? What prevents them from getting stuck on some problem you posed to them without figuring out at least a couple of solutions yourself? And what's the Pool?

I don't doubt that it's possible, I'm just curious how it works.

> * the danger to very low prep play is passive players.

This remark interests me as well. Are there types of scenarios, players, or narrators for which improvisation simply won't work?

Rob