Freeformish games

From: Mark Galeotti <mark_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 22:07:08 -0000

Ironically enough, given the recent discussion, I should note that I almost never write or plot scenarios. Lots of good advice has already been given about 'wind up and let go' games sessions, with which I'd agree (lots of strong PCs and NPCs with criss-crossing motivations, a good sense of the social, political and geographical context of the game, hijacking the players' own good ideas and pretending they were yours, etc), but let me just add one other element.

When I do prepare, I think of some challenges or premises but then I also think of some scenes and props. For example, when I was running a game set amongst the Furthest 'mafia' I thought about some classic mob/noir film scenes which could be adapted, such as the empty square drenched by heavy rain in which the representatives of the rival gangs hold a meet, hassling by the good ol' boy police officer on the take, the audience with the godfather, etc. Some of these scenes lend themselves to props: a picture or a vue d'esprit scene
('it/he looks like this'), a scrap of parchment with cryptic notes
('you find this'), etc. Likewise, a bunch of possible NPCs,
typically a name (they are hard to come up with on spec, and I don;t want to have to take notes so I'm consisten when the same figure recurs next week) and a one or two sentence precis. No stats: those I create on the spur of the moment.*

Now, I don't sit down and work out a plot-thread through these, I just have them to mind as possible options. Many may well not get used in a session of play, but often the players' action will lend themselves to then pulling one out. That way, you don't always have to rely on the inspiration of the moment and can make use of preprepared  ideas and materials, but without having to shackle yourself to any preset storyline.

All the best

Mark