Re: Expierence presenting Heroquest to newbies.

From: Victor Lane <thelhf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 15:17:29 -0800

charlesmacateer wrote:

>Could some of you share with me your expierences using a the simple
>(one roll) contest, particularly regarding combat, with new players.
>I would especially be interested in expiernce's you have had with D&D
>players.

Something I learned the hard way is how to describe the contests. The first couple times I used simple contests for fights, I described the action like "He stabs at you, you block, attack back. Now roll a simple contest." It was far to short and had the loser going down after only one hit. This didn't work to well, for me or the players.

After talking to people over at The Forge (http://indie-rpgs.com/) I realized what I should be doing is describing things more like this: "He runs at you, screaming madly. The fight goes on for sometime as you jump around the clearing, onto tree stumps and rocks. Ok, roll a simple contest. You won! After many minutes of hard fighting, you bring him to his knees."

Because simple contests for combats are short rolls that usually describe a longer action (the fight), you have to describe that action in much more broad terms then you would in D&D.

--Victor