Re: Re: To All "Lost Opportunity Believers"

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 12:53:49 +0000 (GMT)

> Has anyone bothered to contribute anything to
> Issaries? Greg has
> made several similar announcements over the past few
> years but
> little has appeared on http://issaries.com

The last I remember was the collection of short campaign descriptions that started as posts on the RPG list, and we were then asked for permission for Issaries to use. I gave permission for mine, presumably others gave permission for theirs. I haven't seen the project on the site as yet.

I generally offer anything more than random notes or pure "my game" stuff to Issaries first, if only for possible veto. But the last bit at least was fiction, and I'm told their interest in fiction is so low they didn't even have time to read it (shrug). OK. So I'm not producing what they want.

I wonder. If I went through that, saying "this is not a scenario, it is a story, but here's the abilities, augments, and dice rolls the story assumes", would that be of use to anyone?

If I find the time, I'll expand and annotate that "find the sheep" example of make-it-up gaming, since those examples have been requested. But that's "if". It isn't something I was going to do for my own benefit anyway, so it drops down the to-do-list a bit.

> Some members of the Gloranthan community seem to
> believe that it is
> Issaries duty to completely fill out the
> mechanics/physics/meta-physics/whatever.

Well... to *coordinate* such an effort, it is. At least, someone needs to coordinate it. Having it done in random incompatible chunks would not be good. Then again, we generally check what we create against each other, via lists or private email, so not much incompatibility seems to ensue. Maybe we don't need the coordination? At least, we don't as long as Issaries join in the mutual networking and cross-checks. That seems to be the problem - the rest of us have an idea, we say "how about this, guys?" and it gets improved, shot down, incorporated or whatever. Issaries get an idea, they're trying to make money, so they keep it secret until it's in print. So we can't check against it. I don't see an answer to that.

Jane Williams