Re: Nonhuman Sidekicks

From: Ian Young <Ian_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:56:28 -0000

Nick Hollingsworth wrote:

> "Rob"
> > YGWV - But as a narrator I would say no.
>
> Whereas I would say "yes, great, go on, brilliant.."...

Hear,hear.

> In regard to sidekicks having abilities there is nothing to fear
> except fear itself. After all they are paying for them.

Exactly. In as much as improvements to sidekick abilities is considered a "problem", it's a self-correcting one. If a player lavishes his or her HPs on the sidekick, it's to the detriment of the hero character, which most players will be loathe to do for any length. Even then, is it really to the detriment of the hero? As I suggested previously, a sidekick is an extension of a hero's abilities -- though a more vulnerable one as you point out. They're there for the very purpose of diversifying the profile of the hero, often times to allow the hero's player options that are precluded by the hero's character concept. Why limit a sidekick any further than they already have been by their creation rules?

!i!