Re: Nonhuman Sidekicks

From: pedrodevaca <pavis_gm_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 23:35:39 -0000

"Rob" <robert_m_davis_at_h...> wrote:
>> Weeelllll, YGWV, but the mini max in me says, oh great, I'll have my
> warrior Bob have a healer sidekick, choose first aid and put all 15
> points in that for 12W! Or a fast horse with fast 20W and add 15
> that instead, thus 15W3!

the rules say you can only add 10 to any one ability. Also that would add up to Fast 15W2.

Anyhow, I don't see a problem with running it anyway you want to as long as your consistent. If your NPCs can do the same mini-maxing your PCs do, then there is no advantage, everything averages out. Even if you can make a starting horse be Fast 15W2, it doesn't matter. Indeed thats a fast horse. But if thats the ability for fast horses, then thats all you need to know. Other fast horses will be about the same level and so it doesn't matter.

If you're like me and just make up the numbers on the spot to fit the level of difficulty the story calls for, then in all honesty it matters even less what the Hero's target number is and how big his sidekick's augments are. I just wait to hear the PC's final target number and make up the resistance to fit the current need.

> FREX, our chernan devotee had been in play for a goodly number of
> sessions when I read
> that he really ought to have one skill at 10W and two at 5W - which
> he didn't have.

I've run into goof ups like this before in my game. But I lean towards accepting the blunder and explaining it away with story. Sure most Chernan devotees would need skills in this level, but surely the hero Frex has proved himself invaluable in other ways. I don't think Lhankor Mhy cares about the ability level this is just a 'general rule' stating that most devotees are 'about this good.'

Now maybe if he was Mostali you would need to have your ability at a certain level or else advancement is not possible. Advancement potential is measured by an average of 9 recorded test scores using a 17 point metric yadda yadda.

-Mitch