Re: Another problem

From: David Cake <dave_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 16:20:41 -0400

>I'm not sure if this has been mentioned previously on the list, as I've
>only just joined.
>
>One of the problems that I had with Hero Wars before it came out
>seems to have remained. It's to do with fighting multiple opponents.
>Imagine your band of Heroes meet their greatest enemy,
>surrounded by his minor minions (which, according to the rules,
>would have increased Ap's but no increase in skill). When the fight
>begins, the minions rush forwards and battle the PC's. This would
>be a stock scene applicable to many different adventures. The idea
>is that the minions are not a major threat, why should they be, but
>might hinder, hamper or injure the PC's.

        Yep.

>However, because of the way the system works the minions are
>unlikely to injure the characters. Why? Well, their skill rating will
>be far lower than the Heroes, as it should be, but even when they
>do succeed in making an attack they will probably only get back
>AP's they previously lost anyhow, so the chance of taking a
>character down are slim.

        Nope. Transfers are far less common. Generally, the minions lose APs, the characters lose APs. Eventually, the minions probably lose, but they have cost the heroes some APs in the process.

	Also, you have the chance of wounding.
	Also, I don't know if this is in the rules, but I use multiple
attacker bonuses in these situations - so if sufficiently outnumbered, the number of attackers can make a real difference.

> Why
>would any man just attack someone knowing that they weren't
>going to defeat them just injure them so that when they were later
>killed, it'd be easier for their boss to do away with the person being
>attacked.

        This seems to be rather an argument about almost the whole of the action genre, in books, movies, etc rather than a criticism of HW itself.

	Regards
		David