Re: Re: Vinga Dar magic?

From: John Machin <trithemius_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 07:57:18 +1100

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 19:22:00 -0000, Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...> wrote:
> What we seem to be saying, though, is that anyone other than Orlanth
> Allfather and Ernalda the Queen initiates will not make a good
> chief/king. What, in that case, happens to war clans? Likely to have
> warrior leaders on a permanent basis, I'd have said? We even know of a
> few leaders who're Humakti, and who presumably can't join the Dar
> sub-cult on any level?

Well, I think that there is mythic precedent for Ernaldans and Orlanthi making the best leaders - although, as I have said repeatedly, perhaps we should ponder shuffling some of the Dar Allfather feats into Lead Clan; however, surely magic like "Make Clan Ring" more properly belongs in some aspect of Ernalda, if we are thinking back to mythic sources?

Concerning Humakti I expect that such leaders are members of the military leadership sub/hero cult (I forget which precisely) and are excellent at militarising and controlling the warband - but totally offend the carls, the women, and basically anyone who isn't a death-loving semi-psychopath. The most interesting question here, I think, is who makes a Humakti their leader, and -why-? (I assume that 'social leader' is meant here, as opposed to mercenary warband type leader... otherwise I suppose the answer is pretty clear).

--
John Machin