Re: Re: Literacy in the West?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 23:51:51 +1300

At 10:32 AM 3/3/2005 +0000, you wrote:

>--- In HeroQuest-rules_at_yahoogroups.com, Peter Metcalfe
><metcalph_at_q...> wrote:
> > Wizards are the only people that use Grimoires.

>Okay, so Apprentices don't use Grimoires but individual spells. An
>Adept, however, does use Grimoires.

Adepts, as described in the rules, are wizards.

>I just found where it says they
>learn to read (p.163),

*If* he does not already know. Which does not mean that non-wizards cannot read.

>although it is not one of the listed abilities.

It is for wizards. Look at the keyword on p164.

>I realize that Adept is a rank, not an occupation, but my
>PC who is an Artisan and an Adept wouldn't automatically know how to
>read according to that.

If your PC is an adept, then he can read whether he is or is not a wizard. As matters stand, the rules cover wizards and are largely silent on the matter of non-wizard adepts.

--Peter Metcalfe