Re: Similar abilities

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 09:48:01 -0400

Richard Develyn wrote:

> Has anyone had any thoughts on how to handle this?
>
> Some gaming systems put a lot of effort into sorting out similar abilities.
>
> The main problem I can see at the moment is the gaining of a new skill at
> level 12 by expending HPs when a similar ability with improvisation mods
> could result in a higher rating. Makes you wonder why you would bother
> getting it.
>
> I would suggest that gaining a new skill should be at a minimum level of 12
> - but higher if a similar ability suggests you would be better at it than
> that level.
>
> Richard

There are rules for splitting off a subset of an ability. I'd probably let someone do what you propose as well, though probably at the improvised penalty level or 12, whichever is better.

And if the ability is CONTAINED in the main one (Spear and Shield Fighting +3 being a subset of Close Combat), it goes up when the 'parent' does -- effectively, becoming a situational modifier for the parent. But that is our HOUSE interpretation, and your Glorantha should vary.

I must admit I don't like the word ability. Skill is what comes to the tongue.