Re: Improvisational Modifier?

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_...>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 07:52:41 -0700

Andy

> The RiG book on p. 121 lists the standard improvisational modifier as -3;
> the Glossary of Terms lists it as -5. David Dunham consistently says that
> it is -3; Roderick Robertson consistently says that he thinks it should be
> -5, and that -3 is the old value.

Hero Wars intentionally encourages rather loose ability descriptions. Since this means you will almost never be doing exactly what your ability says, it follows that improvisation should not be penalized too heavily. If I recall correctly, all the playtesting assumed -3, and none of the playtesters complained about this.

Richard

> The main problem I can see at the moment is the gaining of a new skill at
> level 12 by expending HPs when a similar ability with improvisation mods
> could result in a higher rating. Makes you wonder why you would bother
> getting it.

Makes me wonder, too. Why not add to your existing skill? Everyone is better off if the number of rated skills on the character sheet is smaller (it's easier to grasp the character for both player and Narrator).

Also, the rules do allow for adding a "subskill" (specifically weapon usage, but it's written in a general sense).

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein