Re: Praxians & Uroxi

From: TTrotsky_at_...
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 02:55:33 EDT

David D and Jeff Kyer:

<< > And if I can repeat something I've said before: it's a mistake to try >
to convert from RuneQuest because you won't get the same results you > had originally.

 I am agreeing with this. Its a different game set in the same world. >>

     And I disagree. What is a mistake is to try and convert too literally; you have to be prepared for a certain degree of change simply because the systems (especially the magic systems) don't work the same way. But if you can't translate from RQ to HW and keep the characters at least feeling predominantly the same, then HW has failed to simulate at least some important aspects of Glorantha, IMO.

    Of course, if you never liked RQ and it didn't feel 'Gloranthan' to you, then you will almost certainly disagree with this, but anyone who felt that their character was suitably Gloranthan and finds that it can't be described in HW would have to feel as I do, AFAICS.

    As I don't believe HW does have this problem, I see nothing wrong with translation, and would even recommend it in some circumstances - with provisos about not being too strict in the translation process.

Trotsky