Re: Common Magic and religion

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 02:04:00 -0400

On Wed, 2005-20-07 at 22:58 -0700, Roderick and Ellen Robertson wrote:

> Basically, as long as you're attending services you're still part of the
> community. People are going to look at you awfully strangely (Whassamatter?
> Real magic ain't good enough for you, Oddi?), but as long as you participate
> at 10% level you're not cut off from the pantheon/religious community.

That's what I figured, but wasn't really sure. I have someone in my game who is common-magic concentrated, but should still be a communal worshipper. (I presume this means he still gets to call on divine aid, or has THAT been lost as it is Divine?)

> So no, concentrating on Common Magic isn't a renunciation, because Common
> Magic (while it might be considered juvevanile/for emergencies only/a
> poor-man's magic) is part of every pantheon. Fleshman is part of the Orlanth
> pantheon, just like Orlanth, Kolat, or Torvald the Alchemist.

As, presumably, are the other sources of common magic in the Heortling culture.

> of course, you might have to explain your use of wierdo magics that people
> aren't familiar with (CM Charms, feats, or spells - Heortlings pretty much
> expect CM to be Talents only).

Why? I know Flesh Man is the one in the HQ book, but MoLaD has another (although mostly associated with healing). I certainly didn't get the impression common magic was usually only viewed as Flesh Man.

LC