Re: Common Magic and religion

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:46:23 -0400

Andrew

On Fri, 2005-22-07 at 11:06 -0700, Andrew Solovay wrote:

> We may agree more than disagree, then--My understanding was just that
> the typical person has lots of different kinds of magic, but *not* that
> the magic necessarily comes from some Otherworld. So the way it works
> out may be, "You get Otherworld magic from your religion; you get
> whatever common magic you can pick up." So it would be rare for a
> Heortling to be a spirit *practitioner*, but it would be quite common
> for a Heortling to have some spirit magic (a common magic charm, which
> comes from the middle world, not the Spirit World.

I do think that's supposed to be the intent of common magic. Everyone has a few tricks they've picked up, and they don't have to drop them because almost no one concentrates.

> As I understand it, the only common magics *taught by the Storm Tribe
> religion* are the Flesh Man talents. So those are the only common magics
> likely to be found across the breadth of Kerofinela and Heortland.

I'd accept that explanation. The other Heortling common religion that's canonical is pretty much healer only, so that's not a big contradiction. Then you have the "Everybody has some other stuff that's local" and it works. It does mean that someone with a wide variety of common magics is hardly unknown in Heortling lands, though.

I should go find my copy of Gathering Thunder though, as there is something in there about the Skullpoint Clan using spirits a lot. (I don't recall how it is described.)

Mind you, there is the whole question of determining what the line is between common magic and specialized magic, other than arbitrarily saying one is one or the other.