Fw: Re:Common Magic and religion

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 21:29:47 -0700

> Or rather where they would be expected to be, to be bound. Just
> because a SpiritWorld spirit has crossed into the Middle World (perhaps
> due to a tragic mistake by a now-destroyed shaman) doesn't mean that
> you can now treat it as a Middle World spirit. When the Lunars
> defeated the Praxian Fire spirit (Wildfire?) at Moonbroth, they could
> not have bound it in a Common Magic charm, surely? Otherwise every
> Self Rock practitioner would be playing the part of a shaman, and
> dealing with spirits suffering the -20 modifier.

Common magic can't make fetishes, the "best" way of dealing with a spirit - charms are really a pale shadow of the utility of a fetish. True, binding a 10W7 Spirit into a charm would get you a +15 bonus, but few (if any) Common magic users would have the necessary ability to do so (some sort of Follower or Worshipper of [Spirit]), let alone the necessary ability level.

Yes, Common magic usually still requires some sort of intercessor to gain a charm, spell or feat from a Otherworld being. They are God-talkers, wise-women, etc. (See the box on HQ 104). It is generally asumed that there is someone in the community that can do this "off-stage" for the characters. (Communal worshippers are pretty much "not intercessors" by definition...)

And as a bit of super-natural history that Greg and I have discussed...

Spirits from the Spirit World who are released from a fetish (or otherwise released into the Middle world) can pass through the veil to the Spirit Plane with little or no effort - under normal circumstances, of course. There are ways to trap them, or for them to lose their way...

Common Magic Spirits *live* in the Middle world. If released in the Spirit world, they'd come through the veil the other way.

RR
- Richelieu