RE: Hero Bands

From: COPPEAU, Jean-Christophe <Jean-Christophe.COPPEAU_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 13:42:16 +0200

I am not expert with Glorantha, but I think you missed the point. In most books, the true heroes have there own quests and motives, but also have an occupation and are part of some kind of organisation, have responsabilities, ..
I always use this in my campaigns because it adds more depth to the story than just having an anarchic hero band which wanders the steps and could as well decide to let all their heroic stuff to hell. Glorantha more than many other rpg gives you the opportunity to give the characters reasons to be heroic.
If they are not, the man who will die is one of their fellow villager, who trust them to solve the situation at hand. In my opinion, at the beginning of a Gloranthian campaign, the heroes will perform their first heroic acts for the community they live in. They will be given the opportunity to make a clear difference between good and bad decision because they will see the consequences apply to the men they see every day. There status and reputation will change accordingly, and you ca, make them come to regret their mistakes. They will be confronted by dificult & emotional choices.
Once the characters have gain more experience, more status, have understand what their acts could produce for the folks around them, they may become true heroes, no longer tied by their obligations to the village, but by greater perspective and their acts may have greater impact on Glorantha, but they won't forget that they also impact on their tribe. They will keep sporadic links with their old community, but may have become the embodiment of their community in the external world, defending it's point on a larger scale. Their duty will have change, but will still exist. They will wander, but not as an anarchic hero band. They will have better reasons to come back upon time and to tell their feats than just 'Ok, I let you leave, but you must come back every month to report'. They are not little soldiers on duty, but Heroes who make their own decision, but who know why they make them, and for who.

Hope this helps,
The Frenchy ;-)²