Re: Orderly spells actively without concentration?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 11:21:03 +1200

At 07:04 PM 8/19/2005 +0000, you wrote:

>A quick question on the Wizardry rules: Can an orderly use his spells
>actively, even if he has not concentrated his magic? The HeroQuest
>book says that orderlies can use spells as active abilities, but on
>the same page it says that many orders require orderlies to
>concentrate before they will teach them spells.

One does not preclude the other. The first is a rules requirement while the second is a restriction imposed by the order. An order can teach its spells to unconcentrated orderlies but they generally prefer not to.

>We have a character in our group who knows some spirit magic but just
>joined the order of St. Arkat the Liberator. For all I know, he'd
>never want to use his abilities actively, I'm just curious whether
>it's an option.

Arkat isn't really a Saint but a heterodox hero that embraced all kinds of magics. For his order to require initiates to be pure to Malkionism would be a trifle odd.

--Peter Metcalfe