Re: Hero Bands

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 13:24:33 +0100

In message <B11F77E6C587D311A8FB009027D5FBEF1279F5_at_...>, Richard Develyn <Richard.Develyn_at_...> writes
>As I read chapter 3 of the players guide I find myself constantly making the
>assumption that all these characters being described would actually find
>reason to quit their job and go and join some sort of anarchic Hero Band.
>
>Am I right in this? And could the parting of the ways be friendly (e.g.
>Ethilrist sends one of his Black Horse Knights out into Dragon Pass to join
>a Hero Band and regularly report back to him (say))? Do all gods allow for
>hero-band types?
>
>The character descriptions all seem to be done from the POV of people who
>get on with their allotted role in life.

While the Open or Moderate Range games would allow for highly mixed Hero Bands the Closed style does seem to be what the rules focus on. The advantages are many: the players have a place to come back to and people to support them magically, financially and in other ways.

I'm currently running a RQ/Glorantha game in which the players are starting out as Sartarite tribesmen: a Closed setting. I plan to drop them into the maelstrom of Starbrow's rebellion and then have them outlawed which will force them to go a-wandering towards Pavis and life as footloose adventurers. I will then open out the Range and allow characters from other backgrounds.

--
Michael Cule