Re: Re: Praxians & Uroxi

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 09:55:40 -0400

TTrotsky_at_... wrote:

> David D and Jeff Kyer:
>
> << > And if I can repeat something I've said before: it's a mistake to try >
> to convert from RuneQuest because you won't get the same results you > had
> originally.
>
> I am agreeing with this. Its a different game set in the same world. >>
>
> And I disagree. What is a mistake is to try and convert too literally;

Okay. this I can buy. But most of the problens we are seeing is from people who seem to wish a literal translation.

> you have to be prepared for a certain degree of change simply because the
> systems (especially the magic systems) don't work the same way. But if you
> can't translate from RQ to HW and keep the characters at least feeling
> predominantly the same, then HW has failed to simulate at least some
> important aspects of Glorantha, IMO.

True. Though some things are not the same (mercifully, there's no blade vemom (yet))

> As I don't believe HW does have this problem, I see nothing wrong with
> translation, and would even recommend it in some circumstances - with
> provisos about not being too strict in the translation process.
>
> Trotsky

Perhaps I overstated my case. Afterall, I'm supposedly translation some of the old stuff for HW (Rainbow Mounds, frex) but much of the conversations seem to be a bit too literal an interpretation. Using the letter and not the spirit, if you get my drift. Or rather disquieting arguements about semantics...

Jeff