Re: Charms for friends

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 12:33:52 -0800

> > > 7Moms *initiate* is an interesting addition, but again
> > > doesn't seem impossible since she isn't concentrated.
> >
> > If she's got a Jakaleel fetish, then she's a member of From
> > Dark, not the 7Moms**.
>
> She can't be both?

The fetish says she's in From Dark. Certainly she can *also* be 7Moms (on top of From Dark and SurEnslib), but just how much time does she want to spend on magic/religion?

> > But otherwise you assumption is correct. As she is not
> > concentrated, she can worship both SurEnslib and Jakaleel,
> > even though they have two different Otherwolds.
>
> Er... They do? I thought we just said Jakaleel is animist, too?

As I said, people always find the "interesting" examples. Jakaleel is Lunar, but has ties to her old Before Dark tradition. She operates as well in the Lunar and Spirit realms. However, her main "aspect" or focus is Lunar.

> > * The Lunar way has it's own names for the various levels of
> > worship and
> > organizations since they can combine different types of magic.
>
> Oh, ****, not MORE names to learn??

Sorry.

> Look, the way I saw her was that as Darjiini go, she's more willing than
> most to give this Lunar thing a try. Most of them, Surenslib looks at what
> Jakaleel has to offer, and goes "yes dear, very nice, but if you want
those
> moonboats to fly we're doing things my way, now run along and play". My
PC's
> much more open and willing to try stuff. Which is one reason why she's in
> the Lunar army, and now in the Upland Marsh.
>
> So I've given her an interest in Jakaleel, which I'm now told is at
> practitioner-under-another-name level. Fine.
>
> And I gave her "common magic" from the 7 moms, because it looked like
while
> the Darjiini aren't exactly provincial, they aren't whole-hearted Lunars,
> either. The "fringe", "try it out" aspect seemed to fit. She's got some
> Charms, and some Talents. Now, if it fits the mechanics and this new
> background better for her to have this magic as non-CM, or as CM but from
> some other source, fine. Just as long as we keep the idea of "sure, I'll
try
> anything once", because that's the whole character concept.

Well, the 7 Moms are *very* much a provincial thing. A Darjiini should be sophisticated enough ("barely" says the Dara Happan) to understand the Lunar way with a little time and instruction. Barbarians aren't so sophisticated, and need a much simpler entry to the whole Lunar religion.

Remember that your PC has grown up in a Lunar-controlled society. She has attended the sacred time Imperial rituals, and knows the story of the 7 Mothers, and the whole Quest for Sedenya, and the history of the Lunar Empire (as opposed to the Solar/Dara Happan one or the Carmanian one, or the Horse Nomad one...). To give an example: the English, Scots, Welsh and Cornish have their own regional languages, their own festivals and rites and 'way things are done'. Those are the Darjiini, Carmanians, Dara Happans, etc. The British government is all-pervasive, and acts similar to the Lunars as far as governing a mess of disparate cultures. (not an exact comparison, but I hope you see the similarity). So your character isn't going to have grown up totally unaware of what the lunars are all about. She probably has friends or maybe even family members that have joined the Lunar Way.

> > Adherants are the "Communal Worshippers" of the Lunar Way. They get
> > Blessings & Charms, and can call on Divine aid.
>
> No talents?

Sorry I was unclear. The Blessings and Charms from the Rufus Scripts are the equivalent of the Blessings that sorcerous church goers get from their Liturgist reading the Abiding Book, or the charms an animist gets from her Practice. Common Magic is a seperate issue and wasn't included in this discussion.

> > Novitiates are the next step up. they have to worship a
> > single Lunar entity
> > (yes, there *are* rules for worship of multiple entities, but
> > it is rare
> > among the non-hero populace). They get .... Fetishes
>
> So that's what I need for Jakaleel worship, to get that fetish?

Yep.

There is also provision for a person to worship both Lunar and non-Lunar beings, which is actually common in the parts of the Empiure where Imperial jobs are at stake - the Army, the Bureacracy, etc.

> But where does CM come from, then? I thought that was 7moms?

Whoah, tangent alert!

What i was discussing above was all not-common-magic - it was the SurEnslib and Lunar Specialized Religions (to use a phrase I dislike).

Lunar Common Magic comes from Lunar beings. A bunch of people can teach you how to use it - the 7 Moms do, the Rufelza denomination teaches *only* common magic (that's the one that's worshipped by the rabble), etc. Then there's non-lunar common magic that is taught by other people - like the Frog Fish and Ferret Fellowhip (ILH1 32). Plus there is non-lunar common magic taught by Lunars.

Look back a week or two to the whole Common Magic thread.

RR
- Richelieu