Re: NPC HPs

From: TTrotsky_at_...
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 13:20:21 EDT

Tim Ellis:

<< [In non-cinematic campaigns hero points]
> represent something that is, taking into account relative power levels of
> characters and so on, just as available to NPCs as it is to PCs.

  Presumably you continue to enforce the rules about only bumping once?

 "Ahh, You've failed and the NPC succeeded, this looks bad for you.."

 "I'll spend a Hero point so we both succeed"

 "He spends one too - Now he's criticalled!"

 "oops" >>

     Assuming they have equal numbers of HPs (and there may be various reasons why they don't) then, yes, that's the sort of thing that's going to happen. In a non-cinematic campaign this kind of thing is, IMO, desirable. If you want something more cinematic then obviously it isn't. I'm not making any value judgements about which of these two styles is best, just pointing out that they're both valid, depending on what you want out of a game.

Trotsky