RE: Enhancement/augmentation

From: COPPEAU, Jean-Christophe <Jean-Christophe.COPPEAU_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 19:27:01 +0200

        From: Jonas Schiött [SMTP:jonas.schiott_at_...]

> Hey, I understand the logic of it perfectly. It's just that it
happens

> _way_too_often_.

	Sorry for that, didn't want to play the teacher role ;-)
	Still what I do not understand is that it will often happen at the
begining of the game when the player will have Strength 17 or Divine Strike at 17 ( not quite a Hero rating in my opinion, just an honest man, so failure from time to time is ok for me ), but will be more than rare if he chooses to raise his ability to an heroic 15w1 for example.

        This makes me come back to another discussion I was having about heroes band; my understanding is that the characters begin as big fishes in a small pond to quote Bryan Thexton, and so can fail quite often at tasks where they are not 5w1 or 3w1.

        When they will have prove themselves it will be ok for them to stop rolling for augmentation where their ability has clearly improved.

        As a basic rule, I would give my players automatic success on an augmentation which is same level or lower than their mastery, ie:

	Strength at (x)w1 gives an automatic +1 augmentation if asked
	Strength at (x)w2 gives an automatic +2 augmentation if asked
	Strength at (x)w3 gives an automatic +3 augmentation if asked
	That's just on the fly evaluation, so I will think of it, but it
sounds ok.

        The Frenchy ( Am I the only one ??? ....) ;-)²